September 28, 2016 CDI Meeting Summary

President’s Commission on Diversity & Inclusion

Meeting Summary
September 28, 2016

1. Agenda

View meeting agenda here.

2. Members Present

Shannon Archibeque-Engle, Albert Bimper, Anita Bundy, Josh Casto, Marco Durazo, Oscar Felix, Vanessa Hayward, Kaye Holman, Gilbert John, Bridgette Johnson, Linda Krier, Alexis Kanda-Olmstead, Kelly Long, Teresa McClure, Arlene Nededog, Mary Ontiveros, Lisa Pappas, Diana Prieto, Jimena Sagas, Jennifer Schneider, Kathy Sisneros, Megan Skeehan, Ashley Stokes, Mary Stromberger, Leslie Taylor, Joe Tiner, Ria Vigil, Cori Wong. We welcomed Joe Tiner from PMSAC and Gilbert John from Vet Med to the group.

Substitutes:

Tonja Rosales represented Mike Jaramillo.

3. Subcommittee Updates

  1. Mission/Vision Subcommittee presented the most recent draft of the Mission and Vision statement to the group for review. Among the recommendations was that we have a one sentence mission, as a more streamlined document creates better focus and the Vision should be what we hope to see. The Charge that Tony gave us was to act as the conscience of the campus. Oscar will make the changes and Mary will take them to Tony.
  2. Holiday Subcommittee: The subcommittee is going to create a co-chair for this so that information isn’t always coming from the Office of the VP for Diversity. They have also added a few members from across campus to make sure we get several viewpoints. An educational campaign will come out in the fall to address the many different holidays and how to respect them, as well as a monthly email. Ria asked that commission members ask in their departments what would be most useful.
  3. Transgender Support Subcommittee: There was discussion regarding legal name vs. student’s preferred name and which gets used and what the implications could be. There was also discussion on a letter from the Department of Education/Department of Justice that could have possible implications on such things as gender choices on applications or  how we print ID cards or hiring practices through OEO. It was recommended that there be a larger committee to work on this. Erin Hammersley and Vanessa Hayward will co-chair and volunteers to be on the committee included: Josh Zugish, Melissa Trifiletti, Neal Lujan, Eric Guerrero, Emily Ambrose, Bruce Draper and Sam Koch. CDI members were asked to report issues that come up or things they think should be considered by this subcommittee.

4. Other Items for Discussion

  1. Commissioner Communication Responsibilities: The question came up about sharing information from the CDI with departments and it was stressed how important it is that everyone report back to their area and bring their comments/concerns back to the commission meetings. Everybody on campus needs to have access to what goes on at the CDI. Leslie offered to meet with Pam Jackson to create a point summary to send to committee members of what they need to communicate to their departments.
  2. Website update:  The structure has been created.  We are working on content.
  3. The Campus Climate Survey will be launched on 10/11.  Tony will send a message and then a couple of weeks later a message will come from councils.  It will be available in Spanish and also in hard copies.  There will be drop boxes in the library, institutional services, and VP for Diversity office.  This survey is important to understand the issues that are affecting campus and get feedback. Many of our trainings regarding diversity and supervisor training came as a result from previous surveys. Results from surveys taken 2 years and 4 years ago were presented by request and they are on the Diversity website. Please encourage people in your department to take the survey.

5. Next agenda items:

  • Martin Carcasson will do a re-visioning
  • Melissa Trifiletti will talk about recruitment of diverse students
  • Update on Student Response to Curriculum
  • Boot Camp for Faculty Success