November 30, 2016 CDI Meeting Summary
President’s Commission on Diversity & Inclusion
November 30, 2016
View meeting agenda here.
2. Members Present
Della Agabeke, Shannon Archibeque-Engle, Albert Bimper, Anita Bundy, Dan Bush, Oscar Felix, Maria Fernandez-Gimenez, Vanessa Hayward, Kaye Holman, Blanche Hughes, Mike Jaramillo, Gilbert John, Bridgette Johnson, Linda Krier, Kelly Long, Teresa McClure, Arlene Nededog, Mary Ontiveros, Lisa Pappas, Diana Prieto, Jimena Sagas, Jennifer Schneider, Kathy Sisneros, Megan Skeehan, Ashley Stokes, Leslie Taylor, Joe Tiner, Erin Vargas-Gutierrez, Ria Vigil, Cori Wong. Martin Carcasson
Nicole Franklin for Alexis Kanda-Olmsted
3. Guest Speakers
Martin Carcasson, Professor in Communication Studies, and Director of Center for Public Deliberation, followed up on our discussion at the October meeting re: re-visioning. He brought clickers to get input from the group regarding the following issues.
- Room set up will be in rounds instead of a large square in the hope is that people will feel more comfortable speaking up
- Meeting time / length change – it was suggested we meet from 12:30 – 2:30 with lunch available
- 17 people said this would not be a problem
- 9 would have a problem
- We will continue with the same schedule for now
- Starting in August we will switch to the 2-hour format with lunch
- Discussion re: Decision-making process: Martin led the group through an explanation of the Kaner model of discussions. (link to this model??). There were small group discussions to talk about this model.
- Do we rely on the subcommittees to do most of the work and bring to the large group for refinement?
- Smaller groups can discuss issues and then report back to the large group. Or a document can be sent out asking for suggestions.
4. Subcommittee Reports
A. Mission/Vision and Hiring Practices: We held a vote on the Mission/Vision statement. 15 out of 26 voted to endorse the Mission/Vision statement. Mary will take recommendations of this group to Tony.
B. Hiring Practices Subcommittee presented their recommendations. There was discussion on a few points in the document before the vote was taken. 27 members voted to accept this document
C. Operational Guidelines Subcommittee meeting will be set up at next meeting.
- Training announcement — Commissioners will get first chance to sign up for trainings in the spring
6. Agenda items for next meeting:
- Diversity Strategic Plan
- Dwight Burke, CSU’s Support & Safety Assessment Department, will be at the next meeting to discuss processes and guidelines that are currently in place when a student crosses the line
- Mary suggested that a subcommittee be created to come up with recommendations.
- Completing the decision-making process we started with Martin.