May 30, 2018 CDI Meeting Summary
President’s Commission on Diversity & Inclusion
May 30, 2018
- CDI Retreat Planning
- HR Updates
- Update on Tour Incident
- PCDI Retreat
2. Members Present
Zahra Al-Saloom, Shannon Archibeque-Engle, Anita Bundy, Gilbert John, Bridgette Johnson, Alexis Kanda-Olmstead, Linda Krier, Keely Mendicino, Arlene Nededog, Mary Ontiveros, Diana Prieto, Jimena Sagas, Jennifer Schneider, Herman Shelton, Ashley Stokes, Cori Wong.
Albert Bimper, Dan Bush, Martin Carcasson, Oscar Felix, Tim Gallagher, Maria Fernandez-Gimenez, Vanessa Hayward, Roze Hentschell, Kaye Holman, Blanche Hughes, Pam Jackson, Mike Jaramillo, Kelly Long, Teresa McClure, Jannine Mohr, Lisa Pappas, Carmen Rivera, Kathy Sisneros, Megan Skeehan, Leslie Taylor, Joe Tiner, Ria Vigil
Kirsten Slaughter – Rice for James Pritchett
3. Retreat Planning
- Bridgette Johnson, Cori Wong, Jimena Sagas, Herman Shelton, and Keely Mendicino volunteered to create the agenda for the retreat on June 27.
4. OEO Updates
- Diana Prieto gave updates on OEO items that have been implemented.
- Feedback from Campus Climate Survey results, President’s commission on Diversity and Inclusion and Internal Audit
- EO coordinators – 180 of them. Need more experience. They are required to shadow an experienced EO Coordinator.
- How to consider diversity in the search process is now an offered training.
- EO coordinators are nominated by their supervisor. Shows support and will be approved based on their years at CSU and if they can say no if needed to on the search and be heard.
- EO Coordinator update meetings are in the spring.
- Principles of Community added to TMS
- Preferred name and legal name added to TMS
- Attendance at the EO Coordinator meetings is a challenge
- They have asked for backup EO coordinators so that all meetings are attended.
- Language has been changed regarding uploading letters.
- Lots of updates have been implemented.
- Items that were not used were removed.
- User guides have been updated.
- OEO You tube videos have been created.
- New live in classroom training sessions for TMS have been well received.
- Creating a user guide for those who don’t use TMS often.
- Creating introductory videos.
- Website will become mobile friendly.
5. Update on Tour Incident
- May 1 two Native American students came for an Admissions tour. They joined the tour late and were introduced. They were shy and didn’t speak. There was a woman on the tour that was uncomfortable with their presence and called campus police. CSU wanted to be transparent so an email was sent out regarding the incident. When something like this happens we have to deal with fall out. It became international news. Messages were received from Europe as well as all across the nation. Comments were across the board. Some were understanding and some were very harsh. Campus police released their body cam video. CSU has reached out to both families but have not received responses from either family. ACLU has reached out to students on our campus to find out what kind of experiences they have had here. We have to restore our reputation. There was a meeting with the Governor and will be a meeting with the Colorado Council of Native Americans. Students have put together a list of suggestions that was submitted to Tony Frank. One of them is recognizing we are a land grant institution built on land that was taken from Native Americans. There will be meetings to decide how to note this.