March 28, 2018 CDI Meeting Summary
President’s Commission on Diversity & Inclusion
March 28, 2018
- Dealing with Resistance
- PCDI Retreat
- Social Justice Leadership Institute
- Free Speech Summit
2. Members Present
Shannon Archibeque-Engle, Anita Bundy, Dan Bush, Oscar Felix, Maria Fernandez-Gimenez, Roze Hentschell, Kaye Holman, Blanche Hughes, Mike Jaramillo, Gilbert John, Bridgette Johnson, Alexis Kanda-Olmstead, Linda Krier, Kelly Long, Keely Mendicino, Arlene Nededog, Mary Ontiveros, Jimena Sagas, Herman Shelton, Kathy Sisneros, Megan Skeehan, Ashley Stokes, Leslie Taylor, Ria Vigil, Cori Wong.
Albert Bimper, Melissa Burt, Martin Carcasson, Tim Gallagher, Kevin Jablonski, Pam Jackson, Teresa McClure, Jannine Mohr, Lisa Pappas, Diana Prieto, James Pritchett, Carmen Rivera, Jennifer Schneider, Bruno Sobral, Joe Tiner.
Becca McCarty for Diana Prieto
The Commission went through a process to help recognize communication differences and issues in regard to units writing Diversity Strategic Plans.
3.Differences in Communication
- Expectations of commission members
- Represent your constituents
- Dialogue is our goal
4. Dealing with Resistance
- Diversity Strategic Plan is due April 17
- “If there is no struggle, there is no progress.”
- Encountering resistance for this is healthy.
- The following three questions were asked to help define the issues that are being encountered when working on the Diversity Strategic Plan.
5. In communicating at meetings what is the nature of resistance you have encountered?
- Where is the money/resources?
- Lack of information / ambivalence – most noted
- Not a real problem / denial – most noted
- Not good use of time
- Not a priority – most noted
- Process is overwhelming
- Interpretative confusion
- Understanding of diversity
- Frustration in current systems
- Thwarting the process
- Constructing data
- Do I have representation?
- Who is at the table?
- Resistance of community participation
6. What is the level of resistance?
- Department Heads
- Faculty – most noted
7. What are strategies for progress?
- Search committee rubric
- OEO clarification
- Student recruitment
- Pilot program / survey
- Dean’s support
- Breaking it down into small steps
- Receiving assistance in priorities
- Change the way we do business
- Diversity is not an add on – need to make it a priority – highest amount of stickers
- Make it a priority
- Coalition building
- Participation revoked – remove inhibitors
- Principles of community
- How do we define what is best? Individual’s bias
- Social Justice Leadership Institute – May 22 & 23
- Free speech summit – April 13
- Retreat – June 27