June 28, 2016 CDI Meeting Summary
President’s Commission on Diversity & Inclusion
June 28, 2016
View meeting agenda here.
2. Members Present
Shannon Archibeque-Engle, Caro Banuelos, Albert Bimper, Anita Bundy, Melissa Burt, Dan Bush, Josh Casto, Marco Durazo, Oscar Felix, Vanessa Hayward, Kaye Holman, Pam Jackson, Bridgette Johnson, Linda Krier, Alexis Kanda-Olmstead, Kelly Long, Teresa McClure, Arlene Nededog, Kyle Oldham, Mary Ontiveros, Diana Prieto, Tonja Rosales, Jimena Sagas, Jennifer Schneider, Kathy Sisneros, Megan Skeehan, Ashley Stokes, Mary Stromberger, Ria Vigil, Cori Wong.
Tonja Rosales for Mike Jaramillo
3. Guest Speaker/s
4. Committee Updates
- Two subcommittees have been formed: Hiring and Mission and Vision. The hiring committee will be chaired by Shannon Archibeque-Engle and will put forward recommendations on how to improve the recruitment and hiring selection process to encourage more equitable opportunity for faculty and staff. Mission and Vision committee will focus on developing statements for the Commission to direct and communicate our priorities and will be chaired by Oscar Felix.
- Professional Development Opportunities which exist within each department
- Since nothing is formally structured, research how opportunities are communicated and find ways to encourage supervisors to promote professional development.
- Spanish language translation across campus
- Hire a University Translator for at least Spanish maybe other languages
- Include Spanish translation in signage and wayfinding
- Research what are the most commonly spoken language at CSU other than English
- Strategies to recruit and retain faculty and staff of color
- Strategies are inconsistent and lack funding and proper attention. The suggestion was made to create a committee to review best practices and put forth a hiring plan to recruit faculty and staff of color.
- Messages communicated from each unit/department’s physical space
- Varies depending upon department on campus
- Lacking curb cuts and functional curbs
- Diverse individuals could be better represented
- Locate dysfunctional curb cuts and make plan to fix them
- Provide inclusive space best practices to campus
- Adopt a universal design mentality instead of compliance
6. Future Agenda Items
- Follow up on hiring committee